Wednesday, November 16, 2022

Puzzle 147 ("Medium Nikoli" Series, Slitherlink)

Again skipping Dotchi Loop because I'm not in the mood.

Constructing this Slitherlink puzzle was way more difficult than I expected.  There were a few factors making this happen, I think:

  • The Nikoli slitherlinks in Pencil Puzzle 2022 are 15x25, not 10x18 like I originally thought.  This made the process way longer to complete.
  • Compared to the other genres in this series, Slitherlink requires an exceptionally large number of choices to make when constructing.  I found myself wanting to strike a balance between difficulty and smoothness, and so I had to choose my givens very carefully.
  • There were some parts in the middle that I wanted to make sufficiently important; one of these, in particular, took a long time to construct.
  • I had to resist the temptation to use more subtle logic most of the time.  In particular, I actually needed to scrap a good chunk of the first half because I realized it was too difficult!

Not sure when I'll be constructing a puzzle of this size again.  In the meantime, enjoy.  Difficulty tows the line between "Hard" and "Extra", I think.

(Edit: Fixed to make one part of the puzzle smoother.)

Online interface

 

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic! A beautiful journey. (I found this harder than your other puzzles in this series, but hugely enjoyable nonetheless)

    ReplyDelete